Delicious Cheesy Matzah Lasagna
If you are a lasagna lover who fears not being able to eat Italian food during Passover, this alternative cheesy Matzah lasagna recipe will leave you with a taste of more, trust us.
Best paired with ricotta cheese
The reason why ricotta cheese is best recommended for this recipe is because it does not release liquid during the cooking process, which as a result does not ruin the matzah board. Of course, you are more than welcome to use any other type of cheese, such as parmesan, mozzarella, goat cheese, etc. However, be sure that the type of cheese you use does not ruin the matzah board during cooking.
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any other type of cheese desired)
- 1 matzah box
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Optional: 2 cups fresh sautéed spinach,
- Optional: 1 cup sliced sautéed mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch pan, or a pan large enough to fit the matzah board.
You will now begin with adding the matzah board layers.
- Layer 1: Spread enough sauce to cover the bottom (about 1/3 cup)
- Layer 2: Place 1 matzoh board on top. (Use 1 for an 8×8 inch pan, or 1 1/2 or 2, depending on how big your baking pan is.)
- Layer 3: Spread more tomato sauce over the matzah (1/4 cup).
- Layer 4: Spread the ricotta mixture. If adding sautéed veggies, add after this layer.
- Layer 5: Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 3-6 until you have filled up your baking dish to the top.
- End with tomato sauce then top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover and bake for about 40 minutes, until the cheese all melted.
You are set!
We wish you a delicious and happy passover!